I just received an e-newsletter from a good friend and decorator, Colleen Lora. The article about home accessories really hit home. With her permission, I am reprinting it. We are settling into our new home and nothing looks quite right. I realize after reading Colleen’s article that most everything we own, we’ve owned for a VERY LONG time. We have lots of “little collections” that you sure won’t see in any of today’s decorating magazines. She recommends accessories larger in scale and fewer in number. I don’t have too many $$$ to devote to new right now but have decided to decorate without the old until I can afford the new. Enjoy Colleen’s article. Check out her website www.CollenLoraDesigns.com too.
“How Old Are Your Accessories?
If your accessories were around when you were tuning in to Seinfeld – and not the reruns, you need an update. Today’s trend for accessories are larger in scale and fewer in number than in years past. If you are a collector, group like items together for a more cohesive and less cluttered look. Faux florals and greenery are great when they are clean, higher end and not overdone. Throw away that old Ficus tree in a wicker basket and replace it with a tall Areca palm in a glazed container. And be prepared to spend a little more than you think feels right on accessories if you need to replace a lot of them. I advise clients that an accessory budget is usually 20-30% of your room’s overall investment.”
When it comes to buying a New Albany home for sale, we can’t stress enough the importance of knowing what you’re looking for before you ever enter the market.
By knowing your non-negotiables when it comes to your dream home, you’ll quickly weed out the homes for sale that don’t match your criteria.
This will ultimately save you both time and money as you navigate the New Albany real estate market.
Continue reading to discover various criteria that you should consider when looking for your dream home.
New Albany Properties for Sale
Here are some common home buying parameters that will help find the New Albany home of your dream more quickly.
Location: Cul-de-sac versus corner lot
- Pros of owning a Cul-de-sac lot: It’s an excellent choice for young families with small children.
- Cons: Many home buyers perceive that cul-de-sacs mean there’s less privacy amongst neighbors.
- Pros of owning a corner lot: Typically corner lots are larger and they have fewer neighbors
- Cons: There’s more traffic noise. Plus, the chances of someone accidentally driving on your grass are higher.
Home type: Single-family home versus condo/town home
- Pros of owning a single-family home: Your home will likely enjoy great appreciation. In addition, single-family homes are more private and quieter.
- Cons: Typically they’re more expensive both upfront and in terms of maintenance costs.
- Pros of owning a condominium or town home: They’re generally less expensive. In addition, they’re lower maintenance than a single-family home.
- Cons: There’s less privacy and you don’t have as much noise control. Plus, you sometimes don’t get a private yard or balcony with these home types.
Story Height: Single vs. multiple story home
- Pros of owning a single-story home: It’s the preferred style for those who need wheelchair access. Also, it’s easier to clean.
- Cons: Some home owners feel safer if their bedroom is located on a second-story. Also, a greater portion of the lot is occupied by the one-story home, which generally has a ranch style. Ranch style homes tend to cost more because it has a larger footprint than a 2 story home.
- Pros of owning a multiple-story home: Home owners have more living space. Residents can have bedrooms on the second floor.
- Cons: Residents will have to use the stairs to access part of their home, which may not be good for people with bad knees or other health ailments. Also, room temperatures may be inconsistent throughout the house unless the home owner invests in dual heating and cooling units.
Miscellaneous factors to consider
- Number of bedrooms/bathrooms: Depending on your needs as a family, you may want anywhere from 2 bedrooms to upwards of 5; most home buyers prefer a minimum of 2.5 baths. Location of bedrooms is a personal choice – lower level bedrooms are less desirable than above grade but are a great way to expand the sleeping quarters in a home.
- Square footage: How much space does your family need to live comfortably? When considering that question, remember that cost-per-square-footage is less on larger homes than smaller ones. Also, consider whether the home’s layout effectively uses the home’s square footage or not.
Your New Albany, Ohio REALTORS
We hope you found the above information helpful as a New Albany home buyer.
As you can see, there are a lot of factors you should consider before you even begin looking for your dream New Albany home!
For more helpful tips on how to effectively navigate the New Albany real estate market as a home buyer, contact us, Kate & Tony Thomas, today!
Until next time,
Kate & Tony
Central Ohio home buyers often ask us, what are the benefits to working with a New Albany agent like you versus doing a For Sale By Owner?
From marketing expertise to knowledge about the ins and outs of the housing market, there are plenty of reasons to work with a REALTOR when searching for your dream home.
Continue reading to discover some of the top reasons why so many New Albany home buyers turn to us, Kate & Tony Thomas, for help.
New Albany, Ohio Real Estate Experts
Here are just some of the benefits that you as a home buyer will enjoy when you work with New Albany real estate experts like us, Kate & Tony Thomas:
- Real Estate Experience. While it’s true you can learn a lot about the real estate transaction process from the Internet and books, you’re not likely to learn everything that we have during our many years of working on the New Albany real estate market. That expert knowledge can prove invaluable as you comb through the New Albany real estate market searching for a great deal on your next dream home.
- Knowledge About New Albany Neighborhoods. Although real estate agents are prohibited by law to disclose information on schools, crime and demographics, we can tell you about where you can find that information as a prospective home buyer. Plus, we can provide you with a comprehensive report on what homes are selling for in a neighborhood. This will ensure that you’re in a reasonable price range when you make an offer on a home in that neighborhood.
- Knowledge About New Albany Market Conditions. Every month, I provide home buyers with a full report on New Albany housing market conditions, including the average list price as well as the median sales price on area homes. This information governs what your offer price will be on your dream New Albany home.
- Professional Network: From home inspectors to interior decorators, we have built a network over the years with professionals who often work with new home owners. When you work with us, we’ll be able to put you in contact with these preferred vendors, who have built a reputation for quality and efficiency.
- Closing Experience: As New Albany REALTORS, we have extensive experience negotiating for a great sales price for our home buyers. We know the ins and outs of the housing market and will use that to your advantage in order to get you the best deal on your New Albany home.
- We Make Home Buying Hassle Free: Home buying can be a tedious process, especially given all the paperwork that it involves. As your New Albany real estate experts, we’ll make the home buying process as easy for you as possible by explaining the various legal forms to you and answering any questions you may have. We’ll also make sure these forms and documents get where they need to go for you!
Investing in a New Albany Home for Sale
If you’re thinking about investing in a New Albany home and would like the expert guidance that only a REALTOR can provide, then contact us, Kate & Tony Thomas, today!
We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have, let you know about available listings and provide you with a number of home buying resources, including:
Until next time,
Kate & Tony